Concerning the gear in Hogwarts Legacy, It's important to have a good understanding of the different elements and how to effectively utilize them. By doing so, you can ensure that you are making the most of your equipment and reach your full potential in the game.
The gear system in Hogwarts Legacy will feel familiar to anyone who played any action RPG like God of War or Destiny. There is a certain level of complexity to it though, and specific aspects which you need to keep in mind if you want to get the most out of your in-game wizard.
In this guide, we'll show you everything you need to know about the gear in Hogwarts Legacy, including how rarity works, a rundown of the traits and what the best pieces of gear are in the game.
Hogwarts Legacy Gear Rarity
Before we get to more complex things like the trait system, it's important to consider the rarity level of a piece of gear. Similar to other games of this kind, there are four rarity levels:
- Well-Appointed (Green) – This is the basic level of gear and has the weakest stats. This gear cannot have traits equipped and cannot be improved.
- Superb (Blue) – This level of gear has decent stats and can have level one traits equipped. Upgrading this gear is the cheapest option, but the upgrades are not as powerful as for higher level gear.
- Extraordinary (Purple) – This level of gear has good stats and can have either level one or level two traits equipped. Upgrading this gear is more expensive due to its greater potential.
- Legendary (Gold) – This is the highest level of gear that can be obtained and has the most powerful stats. Upgrading this gear is the most expensive option, but the results are worth it. All levels of traits can be applied to this gear.
When it comes to equipping gear in Hogwarts Legacy, the Legendary rarity level is typically the best option due to its high base stats and the potential for powerful trait upgrades. To determine the rarity level of your gear, you can look at the color or hover over it in the Gear section of your Field Guide.
By choosing Legendary gear, players can maximize their character's power and better tackle the challenges that await them in the game.
How To Upgrade Gear
To upgrade your gear, you will mainly need materials, which you can collect from captured beasts. You will need to finish the main quest called 'The Elf, The Nab-Sack, and The Loom' to learn how to collect beasts and keep them in your Vivarium, which is part of the Room of Requirement.
If you keep your domicile beasts well-fed and happy, you'll be able to collect materials from them every 25–30 minutes. We recommend going to the Tomes and Scrolls shop and buying a Beast Feeder, so you don't have to manually give them little things their food anymore. While you're in Hogsmeade, you could also check in on Brood and Peck to see if they have some materials that you're looking for.
How much material you'll need to upgrade a piece of gear depends on its rarity level. Green gear can't be upgraded at all, every other piece of gear can be upgraded thrice. With each new upgrade level, the amount and rarity of required materials will increase.
Best Traits For Your Gear
Pieces of gear have trait slots, with traits coming in one of three levels. These give your armor a special bonus when equipped. Here are some of our favorite traits in Hogwarts Legacy:
- Ancient Magic III: This trait enhances the power of the player's Ancient Magic abilities by increasing the damage they inflict on enemies.
- Concentration III: Concentration III is one of the most versatile gear traits that players can equip, as it increases the damage dealt by all spells that cause harm to enemies.
- Ancient Magic Focus III: Ancient Magic Focus III increases the rate at which the Ancient Magic meter refills.
- Disarming III: Expelliarmus is already a powerful spell that takes away the weapons of enemies, making them more vulnerable. With Disarming III, players can boost the damage dealt by Expelliarmus, making it an even more potent tool in combat.
- Unforgivable III: For players who prefer the dark arts, Unforgivable III increases the damage dealt by all three Unforgivable curses.
- Ambush III: For players who like to launch sneak attacks, Ambush III is a must-have gear trait. It increases the damage dealt against enemies while players are concealed by the Disillusionment charm.
- Destruction III: Confringo is a powerful spell that players who use it frequently in combat should equip with Destruction III to increase its damage output.
- Explosive III: Players who prefer Bombarda over Confringo can equip Explosive III to increase the fiery damage dealt by the spell.
By adding these traits to your gear, you can optimize your character's performance and give yourself an advantage in combat. Of course, the best traits for your gear may depend on your playstyle, so experimenting with different combinations can help you find what works best for you.
How To Get Legendary Gear Early
During your first visit to Hogsmeade, you will have the opportunity to purchase Legendary Gear from the Gladrags Wizardwear shop. This shopkeeper will have a wide selection of Legendary items available for purchase. It is important to note that while the Legendary Gear in the shop may also be found in treasure chests, the items offered in the shop are randomly generated for each playthrough.
Additionally, it is recommended to hold off on purchasing Legendary Gear until you have reached a higher level, as the items will remain at that level even after you have leveled up.
Legendary Gear can also be obtained from two types of chests in Hogwarts Castle and its surroundings. The first type is the large, randomly generated chest that can contain Legendary Gear, without any guarantee though. On the other hand, if you want a guaranteed Legendary Gear drop, then you should look for Ornate Chests. These chests will always reward you with a random piece of Legendary Gear.
Another way to acquire legendary gear is through completing various side quests, challenges, and puzzles. These can be found scattered throughout the map, and completing them will often reward you with various rewards, including legendary gear.
Additionally, participating in duels and winning them can also reward you with legendary gear. It is worth noting that some of the legendary gear in the game is also tied to specific quests, so completing these will guarantee that you acquire the specific legendary gear piece that is tied to that particular quest.
Saving Trick For Legendary Gear
To obtain a specific piece of Legendary Gear, you can use a save-scum method after finding an Ornate Chest. Here's how to do it:
- Manually save the game before opening the chest.
- Then, if you're not satisfied with the piece of gear you receive, simply reload your saved game and try again.
- Repeat this process until you get the piece of Legendary Gear you desire. Note that once you pick up the item, its level will be locked.
Keep track of the location of the Ornate Chest on the map, and come back later when you know what you want to get your desired gear piece. With this information in mind, you should be able to collect a wide variety of powerful Legendary Gear pieces.
Good luck with your search for legendary gear!
This article contains affiliate links which are marked with [shopping symbol]. These links can provide a small commission for us under certain conditions. This never affects the products price for you.