Epic Games does a fantastic job at keeping Fortnite fresh by constantly rotating what kind of arsenal players have at their disposal. For obvious reasons, certain archetypes are more utilized than others; this doesn't mean that you should dismiss things like melee weapons.
Close-combat weapons are double-edged swords. On one hand, they are (for the most part) extremely deadly at close range as you might expect. Some like the iconic Star Wars lightsabers can out-DPS Epic and Legendary rated shotguns. Of course, you'll be at a massive disadvantage in long-range firefights. In Fortnite Chapter 3 Season 3, the lightsabers alongside many melee weapons are not available, that is unless you manage to take down Darth Vader himself.
Still, if you want to take a look at all the melee weaponry available in the battle royale, we're here to help. At any point during a season, Epic Games can decide to shake things up by adding them to the pool of loot for players to obtain in a match so better be prepared.
Fortnite Melee Weapons
It might be surprising to hear, especially if you're curious about the Fortnite Chapter 3 Season 3 weekly quest that tasks you with dislodging or destroying Runaway Boulders with melee weapons, but the trusty pickaxe is considered one. It only deals 20HP of damage per swing, so it's not exactly a reliable one, although it's good enough to help you complete the challenge.
With that said, take a look at all melee weapons that can become available in Fortnite standard playlists (Battle Royale and Zero Build):
- Pickaxe: Used to harvest materials. Deals low damage to enemy players.
- Infinity Blade: Mythic sword which deals high damage and gives increased HP.
- Sideways Scythe: Weapon with a leap, swing and dash attack.
- Lightsaber: Mythic weapon which can block damage and hurt enemies.
- Darth Vader's Lightsaber: Mythic weapon which can block damage and hurt enemies. Can be thrown.
- Kingsman: Weapon which can block damage and hurt enemies. Allows temporary glider redeploy.
- Wolverine's Claws: Superpower that allows the player to melee opponents and structures with single repeated swipes, as well as dash forward mid-air.
- She-Hulk's Fists: Superpower that allow the player to repeatedly melee opponents and build up a combo, which increases damage per hit. Also has a built-in double-jump and slam.
- Amban Sniper Rifle: A sniper rifle with a melee attack.
So there you have it. Mastering all types of weapons in Fortnite is key to victory so we hope this list helps keep you on your toes for future weapon rotations and updates.
For more Fortnite, check out: