Battlefield 2042 is a visual spectacle. There are massive environmental disasters that can occur midgame and more vehicles than you could shake a stick at. Not to mention 128 player matches. But just how much computing power is really needed for all this?
Battlefield 2042: Minimum & Recommended Specifications
Hopefully, this won't come as bad news for you, and your (potentially outdated) PC:
Minimum System Requirements
|Operating System||64-bit Windows 10|
|Processor (AMD)||AMD Ryzen 5 3600|
|Processor (Intel)||Core i5 6600K|
|Graphics Card (AMD)||AMD Radeon RX 560|
|Graphics Card (NVIDIA)||NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti|
Recommended System Requirements
|Operating System||64-bit Windows 10|
|Processor (AMD)||AMD Ryzen 7 2700X|
|Processor (Intel)||Intel Core i7 4790|
|Graphics Card (AMD)||AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT|
|Graphics Card (NVIDIA)||NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060|
While EA claims that a 1050 Ti meets the minimum spec for GPUs, we have to admit, we've played the game on a 10 series, and it wasn't pretty. Sure, it might technically meet the pc system requirements, but it looks worlds apart from the recommended requirements.
Can My PC Run Battlefield 2042?
If you just read the Battlefield 2042 system requirements, and you're left asking, “who is AMD Radeon? Do I have NVIDIA? And will my PC meet the recommended requirements or not?” then don't worry. There's a lot of jargon where pc requirements are concerned, but we'll show you how to check.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and choose Task Manager
- At the top of the Task Manager window, you will see tabs, click the one immediately to the right of the current page: Performance.
- From this window, you can easily see the relevant details for your GPU, CPU, and RAM.
- To check RAM: Under Memory, you will be able to see the amount of RAM currently being used and the total potential. Just make sure this exceeds at least 4 GB for Battlefield 2042.
- To check your CPU (processor): Select CPU and you will be able to see the name of your processor above the performance graph.
- If it's an Intel, you need an Intel Core 5, Intel Core 7, or Intel Core 9.
- If it's an AMD processor, you're looking for an AMD Ryzen 5, AMD Ryzen 7, or AMD Ryzen 9.
- To check your GPU (graphics card): Select GPU and, as with the CPU, you'll see the exact name of your model above the graph.
- If it's an NVIDIA then you need a 1050 or higher.
- If it's an AMD then you need a 6600 or higher.
Why Is Battlefield 2042 So Demanding?
A combination of high CPU usage with poor GPU optimization makes Battlefield 2042 a very demanding game. Also, EA have made the decision that PC players should be playing the same build with new-gen consoles. Whereas a less demanding build of the game does exist for the old-gen consoles to get involved, there's no PC equivalent for low-end PC users.
What's The Highest FPS/$ GPU For Battlefield 2042?
We tested the game on a number of GPUs, and we found that despite them claiming the 1050 Ti is within the minimum spec, it isn't. Really, none of the NVIDIA 1000 series were pulling enough weight to play the game fluidly.
At the other end of the spectrum, numerous fans with high-end PCs were finding they weren't getting as impressive a performance as they were hoping for. Even users with a 3090 were expecting more.
To get the most bang for your buck, if you're building a PC and you need it to run BF2042, then we advise the NVIDIA 2060 or the AMD RX 5600 XT.
Is Battlefield 2042 Available On PS4 & Xbox One?
Luckily, you are able to play Battlefield 2042 on the last-gen consoles, however, you will be getting a different version of the game than those on the current-gen consoles or PC. Most importantly, the version optimized for the older consoles misses out on 128 player matches, and is instead capped at 64. The environmental factors are still included in the game, though, and the maps are the same on both versions as well.
Whether on an older PC or one of the last-gen consoles, we're hoping that the experience is still just as enjoyable. Nobody wants another Cyberpunk situation…