After revealing the nominees a few weeks ago, the final conclusion to The Game Awards 2020 came yesterday. Here’s who won what!
Ah, The Game Awards 2020, a show so long that while watching it, you’d often forget what it’s all about. The nominees for each of the categories were already clear but the winners got announced yesterday.
- READ MORE: The Game Awards: Top New Game Announcements!
It was yet another big victory for The Last of Us Part 2. The latter is supposedly one of the best games ever created as it won in numerous categories, and it even had two entries in best performance (you know, for good measure). Without further ado, here are all the categories and all the winners:
- Game of the Year: The Last of Us Part 2
- Best Game Direction: The Last of Us Part 2
- Best Narrative: The Last of Us Part 2
- Best Art Direction: Ghost of Tsushima
- Best Score/Music: Final Fantasy VII Remake
- Best Audio Design: The Last of Us Part 2
- Best Performance: Laura Bailey - Abby, The Last of Us Part 2
- Games for Impact: Tell Me Why
- Best Ongoing Game: No Man's Sky
- Best Indie Game: Hades
- Best Debut Game: Phasmophobia
- Best Mobile Game: Among Us
- Best Community Support: Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
- Best VR/AR Game: Half-Life: Alyx
- Innovation in Accessibility: The Last of Us Part 2
- Best Action Game: Hades
- Best Action/Adventure Game: The Last of Us Part 2
- Best RPG: Final Fantasy VII Remake
- Best Fighting Game: Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate
- Best Family Game: Animal Crossing: New Horizons
The Last of Us Part 2 won in a total of SEVEN categories which means that everyone and their grandmother should play it. We’re sure that if the game supported VR or a mobile version it’d also win those.
On the other hand, there was also the “Player’s Voice” award, and while Naughty Dog’s title was also on the list there, Ghost of Tsushima proved to be the fan-favorite.
So what does that tell us? Lately, the awards are just a popularity contest, we’ve seen this in Hollywood and the Oscars, and sadly, the same trend is already live in the gaming industry. To say that The Last of Us Part 2 was controversial would be an understatement. The game still has a very bizarre score on Metacritic, but hey, it's definitely not a bad game. It just had some flaws that the players didn't like.
Let’s also not forget one very important fact regarding The Game Awards 2020:
Winners are determined between the jury (90%) and public votes (10%), which is done via the official website and on social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter
That’s right, fan vote hardly mattered in The Game Awards 2020 and some players went as far as to call the awards rigged.
For more gaming news like the Cyberpunk 2077 Sales Records & Technical Problems check EarlyGame.