If the Modern Warfare 2 servers are down, there could be a great many reasons why. In this article, we explain how to check the MW2 server status and what to do if you can't connect to the Modern Warfare 2 servers.
You've fired up the PC and you want to play a few rounds, great. But then an error message just pops up. Classic Call of Duty.
Even though MW2 has fortunately been quite stable so far, at least more stable than Warzone, server problems can still occur from time to time; often after updates, but sometimes randomly. But when it's not an issue with the servers, and it's a problem on your end, in those cases we can do something about it.
Are The Modern Warfare 2 Servers Down - Or, Is It My Problem?
Modern Warfare 2 is actually doing really well overall, at least we haven't had any issues. But like almost every game, MW2 will have its downtimes, both planned and unplanned.
If you can't get onto the servers then you should first determine the source of the error, because it doesn't necessarily have to be a server problem.
This Is How To Check The CoD Server Status
If you can't get into the game, there are several ways to check if the problem is with you or with the servers.
- Check out the official Activision Support page
- Follow Activision Support on Twitter
- Follow Infinity Ward on Twitter
Maintenance work and server failures are usually always announced on the official Activision Support website, and you can even be notified as soon as the servers are back online. You can also report problems with Modern Warfare or other Activision titles via this channel.
Both Activision Support and Infinity Ward use Twitter to provide updates on known issues and to keep you posted on their progress fixing these issues.
Here you can see all the cool new features coming in MW2:
What To Do If The Servers Are Up But You Can't Connect
If you can't connect to the MW2 servers, but there are no indications that the servers are down, the problem is probably on your end. In this case, follow the steps below:
Check If Modern Warfare 2 Is Updated
Incomplete updates or an outdated game can often cause connection problems as well. So check on your PC or your console whether you have MW2 updated to the current version.
Check for an update on PC (Battle.net)
- Open Battle.net and go to Modern Warfare 2
- Click the gear next to the "Play" button
- Click on "Check for updates"
- If that doesn't work, click "Scan and Repair"
Check for an update on PC (Steam)
- Open Steam and right click on Modern Warfare 2
- Go to "Properties" -> "Updates"
- Make sure the setting is set to "Always keep this game up to date"
- If no update is available, go to "Local Files"
- Click here on "Check game files for errors"
Check for an update on PlayStation or Xbox
- Close Modern Warfare 2
- Go to your game library
- Find MW2 and click "Options"
- Click "Check for Update" on PlayStation or "Manage Game" -> "Downloads" on Xbox
Check Your Internet Connection
Of course, the problem might simply be your internet connection. So it's best to restart your router and, if possible, connect your PC or console directly to the router using a LAN cable.
- Unplug your router
- Wait at least 30 seconds
- Plug the router back in
- Wait 5-10 minutes
- Restart MW2
If none of this helps, the following measures can help to identify the cause of the problem:
- Check if you also have connection problems with other games; if so, you can be sure that your internet connection is causing the problem.
- Check social networks like Twitter to see if other players are having the same issue.
- Sometimes a simple PC restart solves the problem.
That's about all there is to say on the subject. If the Modern Warfare 2 servers are actually down, you'll just have to pass the time doing something else (damn). But hey, if you have the time you should check out the best assault rifles in Modern Warfare 2?