We always knew that Modern Warfare 2 was going to lean into a high-tech setting, the clue is in the name. But we were still blown away when we saw Modern Warfare 2's reveal trailer and got the lowdown on all the new gadgetry. Infinity Ward are going all out to give us a more tactical experience, and this includes inflatable decoy soldiers and throwable CCTV cameras. We're not convinced the competitive CoD community are going to appreciate all of this, and it could play merry hell with the CDL, but we'll withhold our judgement for now. In this article we'll give you an overview of the new gadgets and field upgrades, and what each one does.
If you've got the time for a deep-dive, here's our hub article on everything we know about Modern Warfare 2.
New Field Upgrades & Gadgets In Modern Warfare 2
A number of new pieces of equipment have been revealed for Modern Warfare 2, and they all sound alarmingly high-tech:
- Tactical Camera: This is basically a home security camera that can be thrown at a wall. Once it's been thrown you can view the camera and keep a lookout. If your team have thrown multiple cameras, they will link up and then the person checking cams will be able to switch between all the cameras like in Rainbow Six Siege.
- Inflatable Decoy Mine: This sounds truly bizarre. The mine will "detonate" when someone walks past, and inflate what look like a fake soldier. You can also set this off remotely, but we don't yet know how realistic the blow-up soldier will be.
- DDOS: Basically this is an EMP device that temporarily disables electronics and vehicles. Once the effect is over vehicle drivers will need to press to start their engines again.
- Drill Charge: This is a grenade that drills through the wall and blows up the other side. It's easy to hear, but it should help shake up campers. Also, you can throw them on to enemy vehicles, and it will kill the players inside but won't damage the vehicle itself.
These kinds of gadgets are going to produce some 200iq plays, and for that we're thankful, but they're all sounding very powerful. So, do us proud Infinity Ward, provide a hard-counter for these puppies.
That's all there is to say about this aspect of Modern Warfare 2. We're learning so much about this game every day, and there are loads of new gameplay features and changes to look forward to, thanks to the new engine. While you're here, why not check out one of these other exciting recent developments:
- Modern Warfare 2 & Warzone 2 Will Feature Swimming
- Modern Warfare 2 Will Use Rainbow Six-Style "Tactical" Movement
- Bots Coming To Modern Warfare 2 & Warzone 2