There are a lot of different NPCs in Elden Ring, all of them with their own quests. One of them stands above the rest: the quest of Ranni the Witch. This is one of the biggest and most elaborate quests in the game, taking you to almost every area in the game, presenting tons of fascinating lore and also unlocking one of the best endings in the game. In this guide, we will show you how to complete Ranni's quest, from meeting her in Limgrave, over working with Blaidd for her and going to Nokron, all the way to the mysterious Moonlight Altar.
Elden Ring: Ranni Quest Summary
Here you will find a short summary of every step in completing Ranni's quest, followed by more detailed explanations down below:
- Meet Ranni in Limgrave & Liurnia
- Talk to Blaidd, Seluvis & Sellen
- Beat Starscourge Radahn
- Make your way through Nokron & find the Fingerslayer Blade
- Explore Nokstella, Eternal City & get the Discarded Palace Key
- Get through the Lake of Rot
- Defeat Astel, Naturalborn Of The Void
- Reach the Cathedral of Manus Celes in Moonlight Altar
Meet Ranni in Limgrave & Liurnia
The first time you meet Ranni will be in the Church of Elleh in Limgrave, very shortly after the start of the game. She will give you the Spirit Calling Bell, which you need to summon ashes, and she'll say that you will most likely never meet again. Also, she calls herself Renna, just ignore those shenanigans. You will of course meet her again, but this time in Liurnia. Here's how:
- Get to Liurnia, either by beating Godrick in Stormveil Castle or going through the secret way between Limgrave and Liurnia (east of the castle).
- Stick to the western side of the region and progress northward along the edge.
- Get to Caria Manor and beat the area boss, Royal Knight Loretta.
- Go past the boss room and you will be in an area called "Three Sisters". You will see three towers. Go to the middle one, called Ranni's Rise. Here you will find the witch again.
Talk to Ranni until she asks you to enter her service, and obviously you should say yes to that. A cute and mysterious witch lady, you can't say no to that. She asks you to talk to her three toy boys, War Counselor Iji, Preceptor Seluvis, and Blaidd. Doing this will prompt the next part of the quest and reveal, that you need to get to the underground city of Nokron.
Talk to Blaidd, Seluvis & Sellen
The next step requires a bit of legwork. But no worries, it's not tooooo complicated... just follow these steps:
- Go down to Siofra. If you haven't been there before, you can take a lift down, which is located in the eastern part of Limgrave, more concretely north of the Minor Erdtree.
- Make your way through the area until you reach the Site of Grace "Siofra River Bank".
- Blaidd will be east of the grace, behind one of the huge pillars.
- Talk to him until you exhausted all of his dialogue options.
- Now go back to "Three Sisters", but this time go to the tower in the south.
- Talk to Seluvis, until he gives you the "Seluvis’s Introduction" item.
- Bring this item to Sellen, who is located in the Waypoint Ruins in Limgrave.
Sellen reveals, that in order to get to Nokron, you need to change the constellation of the stars. And we all know what that means... yes, you need to beat Radahn.
Beat Starscourge Radahn
Yes, you need to beat Radahn... I'm sorry. This is arguably the most annoying part of the quest, since he's an absolute pain. But you don't want to disappoint Ranni, do you? Here's what you need to do:
- Go to Caelid, east of Limgrave.
- Travel to the south-eastern part of the region, until you reach the "Impassible Greatbridge" Site of Grace.
- Use the portal here and you will be inside Castle Redmane, Radahn's abode.
- Talk to the Festival Master to initiate the boss fight.
- Beat Radahn. Good luck!
We won't get into the fight too much, but a few tips: use the NPC summons and if you're a character with ranged attacks, try to stay away from him as far as possible. He was recently buffed again, so this fight will be tough. But I did it, so you can definitely do it too!
Make Your Way Through Nokron & Find The Fingerslayer Blade
After you beat Radahn, a star will crash into Limgrave, forming a huge hole in the ground. And yes, you now need to go down that big hole to get to Nokron, the Eternal City. You will have to make your way through that place, just like you do if you're looking to get the Mimic Tear Ashes.
- Once you went down the crater, keep dropping down until you reach the "Nokron, Eternal City" Site of Grace.
- From there, you’ll have to head southeast and defeat a Mimic Tear, and then continue up to the "Ancestral Woods" Site of Grace.
- From there, you can drop down into the Night’s Sacred Ground area and find the Site of Grace of the same name.
- Continue northward, until you get to a big building. Open the chest inside the building to get the Fingerslayer Blade.
Now return to Ranni in her tower and give her the blade. She will give you a very important item for the Carian Study Hall and say goodbye again, but the quest (of course) still goes on...
Explore Nokstella, Eternal City & Get The Discarded Palace Key
To continue the quest, you need to rest at a grace or reload the game. Then go to Renna's Rise, the last tower you haven't visited yet. Use the portal there to be transported to Ainsel River. From here on, follow these steps:
- Pick up the Miniature Ranni doll located right next to you.
- Find the "Ainsel River Main" Side of Grace south of you and talk to the Ranni doll, until she tells you to kill Baleful Shadows.
- Explore Nokstella until you get to the "Nokstella Waterfall Basin" Site of Grace in the west.
- Find a tunnel south of the grace. Go through it and you will encounter the Baleful Shadow, who you will need to defeat.
- Go through the building and take the lift down. Activate the Site of Grace "Lake of Rot Shoreline".
You will return to the Lake of Rot later, but for now you need to take the "Discarded Palace Key" that the Baleful Shadow dropped and go to the "Raya Lucaria Grand Library". Yes, that means that you will have to complete Raya Lucaria to continue with Ranni's quest at this point. In the room, there is a chest that has been locked, but now you can open it to get the "Dark Moon Ring".
Get Through the Lake of Rot
Now it's time for the nastiest part of the quest: the Lake of Rot.
- Make your way across the Lake of Rot. Make sure to either have Incantations, which can stop rot buildup, or enough "Stanching Boluses" to cure yourself. Alternately, you can just through to the next grace, if you have enough HP flasks.
- Go south to the Grand Cloister and rest at the Site of Grace of the same name.
- Follow the river until you see a coffin. Rest in the coffin to progress to the next area.
That's all... it sounds scarier than it is, really. As long as you keep your health in check, you won't even need to bother too much with the rot buildup.
Defeat Astel, Naturalborn Of The Void
You will appear in a new area. Head north through the fog wall to start the next boss fight in this questline: Astel, Naturalborn of the Void. This is one of the craziest and ugliest... things in Elden Ring. And the fight is tough! But use your spirit summons to pull aggro, watch out for the meteorites, that Astel sometimes shoots at you, and you should be fine!
Reach the Cathedral of Manus Celes in Moonlight Altar
After defeating Astel, take the lift behind it to get to the Moonlight Altar. First, enjoy the amazing view. Then jump on Torrent and make your way to the big building you see in the distance. That is the Cathedral of Manus Celes, your next destination. To get in, you will have to defeat another boss (yeah, I know... another one), Glintstone Dragon Adula. It is also very strong, just make sure to avoid its AoE attacks and stick close to it to make damage, you shouldn't have too much trouble.
You will see a little cave inside the cathedral. Drop in there and follow the path until you reach Ranni... or her corpse? I'm not quite sure what is going on here, but I do know what you need to do: put a ring on her! Pick the right prompt, which will trigger a cutscene. You are now basically engaged to Ranni (congratulations!) and as a present, you not only get the Dark Moon Greatsword, one of the best Int-scaling weapons in the game, next to the Moonveil Katana. No, you also just unlocked the Age of Stars ending!
That's all, folks. We hope this guide was helpful. You can also check out our other Elden Ring content, including guides on how to complete Fia's quest or on how to find the overpowered Rivers of Blood katana.