Sony finally revealed their answer to Game Pass, and it's not called Spartacus. It's still PS Plus, but the system has been completely changed. You can find all the details below.
Long have we been waiting for Sony's answer to Game Pass, which had the codename Spartacus. Now the Japanese publisher has revealed that no, there is not a new service, and it's not called Spartacus. Instead, they are completely changing how PS Plus works. See here a breakdown of the new PS Plus, how much it will cost, what you get in it and when it will release.
[Update: May 16]
Sony has released more info on the games that will be included in the service, either as streaming or for download. The biggest news is that Ubisoft+ games will be included in the so-called Extra tier of PS Plus. That tier will be available for $14.99 monthly. That's pretty neat!
If you want to know how the new PS Plus works, scroll past this list of games and read the rest of our breakdown, featuring all details on price, the new tier system and more!
Here are all games included in the new PS Plus (the Ubisoft+ titles are marked by *** under "Third Party-Partners"):
- Alienation | Housemarque, PS4
- Bloodborne | FromSoftware, PS4
- Concrete Genie | Pixelopus, PS4
- Days Gone | Bend Studio, PS4
- Dead Nation Apocalypse Edition | Housemarque, PS4
- Death Stranding and Death Stranding Director’s Cut | Kojima Productions, PS4/PS5
- Demon’s Souls | Bluepoint Games, PS5
- Destruction AllStars | Lucid Games, PS5
- Everybody’s Golf | Japan Studio, PS4
- Ghost Of Tsushima Director’s Cut | Sucker Punch, PS4/ PS5
- God of War | Santa Monica Studio, PS4
- Gravity Rush 2 | Japan Studio, PS4
- Gravity Rush Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
- Horizon Zero Dawn | Guerrilla, PS4
- Infamous First Light | Sucker Punch, PS4
- Infamous Second Son | Sucker Punch, PS4
- Knack | Japan Studio, PS4
- LittleBigPlanet 3 | Sumo Digital, PS4
- LocoRoco Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
- LocoRoco 2 Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
- Marvel’s Spider-Man | Insomniac Games, PS4
- Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales | Insomniac Games, PS4/PS5
- Matterfall | Housemarque, PS4
- MediEvil | Other Ocean, PS4
- Patapon Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
- Patapon 2 Remastered | Japan Studio, PS4
- Resogun | Housemarque, PS4
- Returnal | Housemarque, PS5
- Shadow of the Colossus | Japan Studio, PS4
- Tearaway Unfolded |Media Molecule, PS4
- The Last Guardian | Japan Studio, PS4
- The Last of Us Remastered | Naughty Dog, PS4
- The Last of Us: Left Behind | Naughty Dog, PS4
- Until Dawn | Supermassive Games, PS4
- Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection |Naughty Dog, PS4
- Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End | Naughty Dog, PS4
- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy | Naughty Dog, PS4
- WipEout Omega Collection | Clever Beans & Creative Vault Studios, PS4
- Ashen | Annapurna Interactive,PS4
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla*** | Ubisoft, PS4/PS5
- Batman: Arkham Knight | WB Games, PS4
- Celeste | Maddy Makes Games, PS4
- Cities: Skylines | Paradox Interactive, PS4
- Control: Ultimate Edition | 505 Games, PS4/PS5
- Dead Cells| Motion Twin, PS4
- Far Cry 3 Remaster*** | Ubisoft, PS4
- Far Cry 4*** | Ubisoft, PS4
- Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition | Square Enix Co. LTD, PS4
- For Honor*** | Ubisoft, PS4
- Hollow Knight | Team Cherry, PS4
- Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy | Square Enix Co. LTD., PS4/PS5
- Mortal Kombat 11 | WB Games, PS4/PS5
- Narutoshippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 | Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc., PS4
- NBA 2K22 | 2K Games, PS4/PS5
- Outer Wilds | Annapurna Interactive, PS4
- Red Dead Redemption 2 | Rockstar Games, PS4
- Resident Evil | Capcom Co., Ltd, PS4
- Soulcalibur VI | Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc., PS4
- South Park: The Fractured but Whole*** | Ubisoft, PS4
- The Artful Escape | Annapurna Interactive, PS4/PS5
- The Crew 2*** | Ubisoft, PS4
- Tom Clancy’s The Division*** | Ubisoft, PS4
New PS Plus Rebrand: All Details
PS Plus will now be available in three different tiers, each giving the players different benefits and access to different catalogs of games. In their official statement, Sony describe this rebranding as "PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now come together", further stating:
Today, we are pleased to share with you official news about changes coming to our subscription services. This June, we’re bringing together PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now in an all-new PlayStation Plus subscription service that provides more choice to customers across three membership tiers globally.
New PS Plus Rebrand: What Are The Different Tiers?
The three different tiers for the new PS Plus are called Essential, Extra & Premium. All three offer different prices and benefits, with the Essential tier being the most basic one and offering the same as PS Plus has done so far, meaning two downloadable games a month, cloud storage, discounts and access to online multiplayer.
So far, so familiar. What's new are the Extra & the Premium tier. The former will provide you the benefits of the previous tier, in addition to "a catalog of up to 400 of the most enjoyable PS4 and PS5 games – including blockbuster hits from our PlayStation Studios catalog and third-party partners." The nice thing about this one is, that the games will be downloadable for play.
The last tier is Premium, and it's by far the biggest. Subscribing to this tier will get you all benefits from the two cheaper tiers, plus an even bigger selection of games to play. It's quite a lot, so here is Sony's breakdown of the Premium tier:
Adds up to 340 additional games, including: PS3 games available via cloud streaming
A catalog of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations
Offers cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets where PlayStation Now is currently available. Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.
Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.
Sony emphasized, that they want to "ensure that the hundreds of games we offer will include the best quality content that sets us apart." For the initial offering of games, they plan to include titles such as Death Stranding, God of War, Marvel’s Spider-Man, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Mortal Kombat 11, and Returnal. New games are supposed to be added to the service in time. PlayStation Now will not be available as a standalone service anymore, once the new PS Plus system launches.
New PS Plus Rebrand: Price
Every tier of the new PS Plus will obviously have a different price. Here is a quick overview of the different price ranges per tier:
- Europe €8.99 monthly / €24.99 quarterly / €59.99 yearly
- United Kingdom £6.99 monthly / £19.99 quarterly / £49.99 yearly
- Japan ¥850 monthly / ¥2,150 quarterly / ¥5,143 yearly
- United States $14.99 monthly / $39.99 quarterly / $99.99 yearly
- Europe €13.99 monthly / €39.99 quarterly / €99.99 yearly
- United Kingdom £10.99 monthly / £31.99 quarterly / £83.99 yearly
- Japan ¥1,300 monthly / ¥3,600 quarterly / ¥8,600 yearly
- United States $17.99 monthly / $49.99 quarterly / $119.99 yearly
- Europe €16.99 monthly / €49.99 quarterly / €119.99 yearly
- United Kingdom £13.49 monthly / £39.99 quarterly / £99.99 yearly
- Japan ¥1,550 – monthly / ¥4,300 – quarterly / ¥10,250 yearly
New PS Plus: Release Date
The New PlayStation Plus service is supposed to come out on June 22, 2022. We will update this article as soon as more info comes out regarding the new PS Plus.