It's been a while since Psyonix announced Rocket League Sideswipe - the mobile version of Rocket League. In the meantime, Sideswipe is already in Season 3 (the "normal" Rocket League is in Season 6, by the way)... time just flies by insanely fast when you're having fun in the Battle Arena and conquering the rankings in Rocket League.
With each new season, Psyonix releases a lot of new content, of course. Quick recap: For the second season of Rocket League Sideswipe, that was Volleyball mode, casual playlists, and numerous new items. So, what can we look forward to in the third season? And when does the update go live anyway? Don't worry, we're here to answer those questions for you. Let's go!
What's New In Season 3 Of Rocket League Sideswipe?
Psyonix doesn't release new updates for Rocket League Sideswipe very often, but the patches are always quite something. Just have a look at the Sideswipe homepage, there are patch notes for each new season and usually a mid-season update. So, let's go through what's changing with Season 3 now. Small spoiler: The patch notes are a bit longer this time. Sorry...
New Content Including Spectator Mode
Yes, you read that right. With the launch of the third season, the spectator mode has finally found its way to Rocket League Sideswipe. Of course, this offers several advantages... For one, it's obviously a fantastic tool for Sideswipe Content Creator to create new videos. For another, casual players can also analyze their own gameplay much better and thus get better at Rocket League faster.
But not only that, because the format that started it all in Rocket League is now also available in Sideswipe: the new 3v3 mode! We know what you're probably thinking right now: 3v3 in Rocket League Sideswipe.... won't that be very tight? We can reassure you, because Psyonix has put some thought into this. To keep things from getting too crowded on the battlefield, the developers have added a new Longfield arena. In addition, you'll always know exactly where your teammates are thanks to a new off screen pointer.
The 3v3 mode in Rocket League Sideswipe definitely sounds like a lot of fun and, above all, chaos in the arena. So, make sure you cut a good figure during the games - and that works especially well with the three new bodies Marauder, Mantis and Takumi! Along with many other items and rewards, these three cars are part of Rocket Pass 3 in Sideswipe. Hyped yet? We are! If the new content hasn't convinced you yet, check out the Rocket League Sideswipe Season 3 trailer here:
Changes & Updates
In addition to fresh content, the Season 3 patch also improves or slightly revises some of the existing features. We won't beat around the bush, here are all the changes and updates:
- Celebration after the game::
- The pause menu is now available during the victory celebration, so you can find a new game faster!
- "News and Updates" window:
- New social media buttons! Follow us on Twitter, Reddit, Discord and Instagram. Don't miss the opportunity to be featured in Play of the Week! #RLSPOTW
- New Challenge Stages Added. Players can now complete up to 4 new stages of challenges during the season. Can you complete them all?
- Challenges now appear in the game summary.
- Quick chat indicator:
- Higher quick chat indicator - instead of 3, 4 quick chats are now displayed. Have fun and be successful!
- User interface updates.
- New camera/auto alignment for group members. Gather!
- Role in jump:
- Role in jump can be enabled and disabled
- Options restructured:
- Quick chat, avatar, banner and title settings can now be edited faster
- Item Shop:
- First purchase confirmation
- A confirmation window now appears when purchasing items in the item store.
Rocket League and Rocket League Sideswipe are unfortunately full of bugs and errors that keep popping up, especially after new updates. For Season 3, some of these issues have been addressed....
- iOS controller support:
- Fixed a bug where the last button pressed was registered as held.
- Fixed multiple actions when a key is pressed more than once
- Touch controls:
- Added new option for a static stick
- No more slipping with your thumbs during intense gameplay! You can now anchor it where you want it.
- The settings for the stick are now in the "Control adjustment" submenu
- Main menu:
- The buttons at the bottom have been adjusted to fix overlap on certain screens.
- General cleanup of button and font sizes
- Fix temperature issues on some devices
You can also read the full patch notes again at your leisure on the official Rocket League Sideswipe website.
When Will Sideswipe Season 3 Be Released?
If you are reading this article right now, Rocket League Sideswipe Season 3 is already out. In fact, the update was released on April 06, 2022 - so what are you waiting for? Close your browser, open the app on your phone and jump into concentrated car soccer action on the go! After all, time is precious in the game if you want to get tasty Ranked Rewards again at the end of the Season! Speaking of Ranked Rewards: With the start of Season 3, you'll be able to earn rewards from the previous season.
On Which Platforms Will Sideswipe Season 3 Be Released?
The third Season of Rocket League Sideswipe is available on all major mobile platforms. Here they are:
That's about all there is to say about Season 3 of Rocket League Sideswipe. I'll be sure to check out the new content on my way to work... will you? Or do you just prefer to play Rocket League on PC and get your MMR up there? To each their own, there's no wrong choice as long as you play Rocket League and have fun doing it! Cheers.