LoL Patch 12.23 is going to be the last patch of the year. This is going to be another big patch for League of Legends, so we're going to let you know what changes to expect and what buffs & nerfs will be heading your way.
While Sylas and Pantheon weren't the Ashen Knight's we'd hoped for, Riot is giving the community what they want with the final skin of this skin series for 2022. But, other than fancy new mythic skins, what else does Riot have planned for us?
Some major champion updates are going to be coming to LoL Patch 12.23 so let's go over all the buffs, nerfs and adjustments now!
LoL Patch 12.23: All Champion Buffs and Nerfs
After we've only received minor buffs and nerfs for champions over the first preseason patches, Riot decided it's now time to ramp it up again! Aside from Dr. Mundo, Tahm Kench and Zeri, we don't have any further details yet, but we know which champions will be nerfed and buffed with the upcoming patch. Take a look!
LoL Patch 12.23: These Champions Will Be Buffed
- Shadow Kayn
- Tahm Kench
As you can see, there is a lot of tanks set out to be buffed with Patch 12.23! Riot deems them too weak in their current state, aside from a few being playable because of great item synergy. Otherwise you see Tahm Kench and Zeri, both of them will receive rather extensive buffs, some might even say mini-reworks. If you want to find out more about those, read down below!
LoL Patch 12.23: These Champions Will Be Nerfed
"A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one!" This is what Senator Palpatine would say about this list of champions. Yuumi is being nerfed. We're curious to see what exactly will be changed about her, but it's safe to say that the majority of the LoL community will be thrilled to see her being nerfed.
LoL Patch 12.23: System Buffs & Nerfs
Riot is focusing on champion balance with this patch. This doesn't mean that they won't act on items over- or underperforming in the current meta. Sunfire Aegis will be buffed after being subject to a rework during the Preseason item changes.
On the other hand, Ravenous Hydra will be nerfed. It's safe to say that this item has been one of the highlights during the first Preseason patch, but it's time to tone it down a little. We'll see if Riot will be able to successfully balance this item.
LoL Patch 12.23: Balancing Changes to Jungle Role
This one might be interesting as well: Riot is planning to release further balancing changes for the Jungle role, after it has received some major updates with the release of Preseason 2023. It has sparked a lot of controversy, though. Many think it's too strong in it's current state, some say it got too easy. Let's see what Riot wants to change with Patch 12.23
- 20 Base True Damage ⇒ 16 Base True Damage for Pets
- After first evolution, consume 2 bonus treats on kill of large monsters and get said benefits
- Native 20% Damage Amp no longer works on epic monsters
- 10% Bonus AR/MR is converted to pet True Damage
- Bonus HP Ration: 4% ⇒ 3%
- Monster Kill Health per Level: 3 ⇒ 6
- Monster Kill Mana per Level: 2 ⇒ 4
- Treat Gold: 50 ⇒ 35 (Jungle Gold is up a fair bit, pulling a lot of gold out of the treats)
- Exp. Multiplier: 1/1/1.025/1.075/1.15/1.15/1.25/1.25/1.35 Levels 1-9 ⇒ 1/1/1.025/1.075/1.2/1.2/1.3/1.3/1.45 Levels 1-9 (Partial compensation of jungle experience nerfs from start of season)
- Gromp AA Range: 175 ⇒ 150
- Large Razorbeak AA Range: 300 ⇒ 200
- Leash Range Centers have been offset from Camp spawn location giving more space for champions to move and kite
- Tenacity Buff Duration: 3s ⇒ 1.5s
- Tenacity Type: Item ⇒ Champion
LoL Patch 12.23: Dr. Mundo Jungle Changes Ahead
Dr. Mundo just received his VGU in 2021, but it's already time for Riot to already rework his abilities once more. His kit hasn't felt as great since the rework and some of the abilities feel underwhelming. So, Riot is looking to rework some abilities.
You might encounter K'Sante when playing top lane Mundo...
Dr. Mundo Ability Changes
- AD per Level: 3.5 --> 3
- Base Magic Resist: 32 --> 29
- Magic Resist per Level: 2.050 --> 2.3
Passive - Goes Where He Pleases
- Cannister Current Health Loss: 7% --> 3%
- Cannister Max Health Heal --> 8% --> 4%
- Max Health Regen per 5s --> 0.8-1/6% (linear progression) --> 0.4-2.5 (non-linear progression equal at level 11)
Q - Infected Bonesaw
- Health Cost: 50 --> 60
W - Heart Zapper
- Health Cost: 5% current Health --> 8% current Health
- Gray Health Heal (No Hit): 0% --> 50%
- Damage Stored as Gray Health: 25/30/35/40/45% --> 80-95% based on level in the first 0.75s, then 25% thereafter
- Duration: 4s --> 3s
E - Blunt Force Trauma
- Passive Bonus AD: 15/20/25/30/35 + 25/30/35/40/45 based on missing health --> 2.5/3/3.5/4/4.5% max Health
- [Removed] Instantly push small jungle monsters
- Monster Damage: 200% --> 250%
R - Maximum Dosage
- [Removed] Bonus AD
- Missing Health as Max Health: 8/11.5/15% --> 15/20/25%
- [Added] At Rank 3, both healing effects (R regen and base health gain) are increased by an additional 5% per nearby champion
These changes should make Mundo a much better late game champion. He will still gain extra AD thanks to his E, so even the removal of the bonus AD from the ultimate shouldn't be too big of a deal.
- Are you an intellectual who loves to read? Pick up the League of Legends novel Ruination on Amazon
The biggest and most impactful change will definitely come from the update to his W, which has felt very lack luster thus far. So, hopefully Dr. Mundo will be played more often, because he's actually a super fun tank to play.
Zeri Ability Update to Improve Her in Solo Queue
LoL Patch 12.23 is also going to see some major changes for another struggling champion and that is none other than Zeri. Soon she will turn 1-year-old, but she hasn't been a very popular champion... due to her being broken as hell and then nerfed beyond repair after.
Now, Riot is looking to make some major changes to her kit, so she will be more forgiving in solo queue, as well as less OP in the pro scene with the proposed changes from Riot.
Zeri Abilities Update in LoL Patch 12.23
- Move Speed: 325 --> 330
- Base AD: 50 --> 53
- Base Armor: 20 --> 24
- Base Health: 600 --> 630
- Attack Speed Ratio: 0.568 --> 0.625
- HP Per Level: 109 **> 115
- Fully Charged Damage: 90-200(+90%AP)(+1-15% Target Max Health) --> 90-200(110%AP)(1-15% Target Max Health)
P - Living Battery
- Gotta Zip Shield Bonus: 10% multiplicative Movement Speed --> 10% MS
- Duration: 3s --> 2s
Q - Burst Fire
- Range: 825 --> 750
- Excess AS to AD Ratio: 60% --> 70%
- Base Damage: 8/11/14/17/20 --> 15/18/21/24/27
- AD Ratio: 100/105/110/115/120% AD --> 104/108/112/112/116/120% AD
W - Ultrashock Laser
- Damage Type: Magic --> Physical
- Damage: 20/55/90/125/160(+100%AD)(+40%AP) --> 20/60/100/140/180(+130%AD)(+0%AP)
- Cast Time: 2.5xAttack Time --> 0.55s-0.3s (based on AS)
- Missile Speed: 2200 --> 2500
- Beam Cast Time: 0.75s --> 0.85s
E - Spark Surge
- Mana Cost: 80 --> 90/85/80/75/70
- Cooldown: 24/22.5/21/19.5/18s --> 22/21/20/19/18s
- [NEW EFFECT] For the next 5s, Zeri's Burst Fire does additional magic damage to the first enemy hit and pierces targets
- Bonus Magic Damage: 20/22/24/26/28(+20%AP)(+12% bonus AD)
- [NEW] Deals up to 65% bonus damage on Critical Strike CHance
- Pierce Damage Falloff: 60/70/80/90/100% --> 80/85/90/95/100%
- Ability/attack damage reduce the cooldown of Spark Surge (E) by 0.5s (1.5s for critical strikes)
- Reveal Range Through Walls: 850 --> 1500
R - Lightning Crash
- [REMOVED] Bonus Magic Damage
- Chain Lightning Range: 450 --> 650
- On0Cast Magic Damage: 150/250/350(+80%AP)(+80% bonus AD) --> 175/275/375(+110%AP)(+100% bonus AD)
- If R hits at least one champion, Zeri gains 10% movement speed, 30% attack speed, and chain shots for 5s. Hitting champions refreshes this buff by 1.5s (up to 5s total)
- Hitting champions grants Zeri 1 stack (3 per crit) of Overcharge for 1.5s. Zeri gains 0.5% movement speed for each stack of Overcharge (stacking infinitely)
Most fans seem rather confused about the upcoming changes to her ultimate. Is Zeri still going to infinitely stack the ability or is there now a cap of 10s for the ability? Riot has further elaborated on the confusion, stating that the ability is "essentially broken into 2 parts, a baseline buff and Overcharge. Overcharge is the MS that stacks infinitely, these only last 1.5s so flashing/CC will drop all the MS".
You will have to keep auto attacking to keep your stacks every 1.5s otherwise you'll lose them. This will make it harder for Zeri to infinitely scale, but it's still there in her kit for those of you who want to continue to abuse this champion.
Hey come join us on the EarlyGame podcast! We sometimes even talk about LoL
Tahm Kench Changes in LoL Patch 12.23
Tahm Kench will also be receiving some updates this coming patch. It seems like Riot isn't sure how to balance this champion ever since his mini rework. He's just been a bit underwhelming, but the catfish could make his comeback to the scene. Will these proposed changes help him?
Tahm Kench Ability Names
|Passive - An Acquired Taste|
|Q - Tongue Lash|
|W - Abyssal Dive|
|R - Devour|
Tahm now has some of the best AP scaling in the game, but will this even help him in the laning phase and his wave clear? We doubt it, so we except some more Tahm changes in the future.
Kassadin to Receive Quality of Life Changes in LoL Patch 12.23
Kassadin will be receiving some nice quality of life changes as well. These changes are aimed to be released for 12.23, but they could also come at a later time if the team isn't happy with these updates. So let's go over these upcoming quality of life changes. Will you be a Kassadin main after these?
Q - Null Sphere
- Shield granted on spell cast rather than when the missile leaves his hand (small buff to make parry more reliable)
- +20 Shield per Rank: 60/90/120/150/180 --> 80/110/140/170/200
- -10% Shield AP Ratio: 40% --> 30%
E - Force Pulse
- Spell no longer locked out and requiring nearby spell casts
- Nearby spell casts reduce the Cooldown by 1 second
- Cooldown: 5 --> 21/19/17/15/13
Huge ARAM Changes Coming in LoL Patch 12.23
ARAM is getting huge changes in the coming patch. The map will change completely, with more brushes added, as well as hexgates now also being part of the map. You can now use these hexgates to move to the outermost turret of your team. So, if your outermost turret falls you can then hexgate to your second tower.
Towers will also crumble and fall realistically when they're destroyed, obscuring a path along the way for players. This means you can only go around one side of the fallen tower. But you'll still be able to use hook abilities to pull in opposing champions. So they won't be safe hiding behind the other side of the fallen tower.
ARAM Death Timer Changes
ARAM death timers are also getting some updates in the coming patch. Seriously guys, there is so much happening right now! The death timers will be longer, but with the added Hexgates you'll be with your team way faster than before, so these changes shouldn't impact your ARAM games too much.
- +2 seconds at lvl 3
- +5 seconds at lvls 4 - 8
- +4 seconds at lvl 9
- +3 seconds at lvls 10 - 18
ARAM Clash Tournament
The final Clash tournament will also be starting, and it is going to be a unique Clash like never before. ARAM Clash will be the final Clash of the year. Any fans of the game mode should be hyped for some actual competition and if Riot sees a good turnout, then we might also get more love for ARAM.
New Mythic Skin Released in LoL Patch 12.23
A brand-new mythic skin will hit the rift as well. This is going to be the final Ashen Knight skin, and it's finally going to be the Ashen Knight skin the fans want. Sylas and Pantheon were criticized heavily for not looking like knights, but our big man Mordekaiser fits the bill to a tee!
So, expect the new Ashen Knight Mordekaiser to be in the mythic shop come LoL Patch 12.23 along with an Emberwoken Chroma to give him the true knightly look from hell. Hopefully we get to see this skin line as a regular returning skin line in 2023. Pyke and Morde have shown the potential for these skins.
Which mythic theme we're getting in 2023 has not yet been revealed, but we hope that Riot can do something dark and gritty once more.
These are some of the biggest changes heading into LoL Patch 12.23. If there are any other updates to the patch, we will be sure to update you guys, so you know what could go live just before Christmas. You want to make it through the holidays, right?
This article contains affiliate links which are marked with [shopping symbol]. These links can provide a small commission for us under certain conditions. This never affects the products price for you.