Ahri is one of League of Legends' most iconic champions and characters. She’s featured in multiple ad campaigns and is a huge part of the Riot Forge and Airship Syndicate game Ruined King: A League of Legends Story.
She’s been a part of the game since December 2011 and just recently celebrated her 10-year anniversary. So, what is Riot doing to freshen up this aged champion? Quite a lot, and we’re going to go over all the details.
Why is Ahri Getting a Mini Rework?
As just mentioned, Ahri is one of the older champions in League of Legends. Thus, her visuals are slightly outdated and her abilities don’t feel as fresh or fun anymore as they once did. A lot has changed since 2011.
So, in an effort to revamp older champions like Syndra, Vayne and Rengar, Riot is going to ship a few updates onto the PBE server to improve Ahri as a champion. Maybe she’ll be a viable pick in ranked again and not just there for fanservice?
What Is Being Updated on Ahri’s Kit?
Riot August sent out a tweet explaining the changes to Ahri and what the focus of the mini rework is going to entail. Basically, the balance team will want to work around her mobility to keep her character the same as she’s always been.
Here is an overview of all the planned changes for the Ahri Rework
We've got an Ahri refresh going to PBE soon for feedback— August UwU (@RiotAugust) January 19, 2022
-Lean into her mobile mage identity by allowing R to partially reset, giving her more opportunities to carry fights
-Passive reworked to be more useful throughout the game
-Make her spells feel better to cast in lane pic.twitter.com/0vLqJqOlS2
Ahri Buffs in Season 12
Two of her abilities will be getting buffed in the rework. This is done to improve her gameplay and make her a viable pick.
- W - Fox Fire: Damage increased and mana cost decreased. Flame duration and movement speed duration increased and an update to the visuals of the ability.
- R - Spirit Rush: 15 second duration instead of 10. Also, consuming a champion's essence with her passive while spirit rush is active, extends its recast duration by up to 10s. The visuals have also been updated.
Ahri Adjustments in Season 12
Her passive and her E are also being adjusted. These abilities just aren’t up to par with other abilities in 2022, which is why Riot has decided to take them under the microscope and change them around.
- P - Essence Theft: Killing minions and monsters grants Ahri an essence fragment, after obtaining 9 fragments, Ahri consumes them to heal 40-120 (+25%AP). When Ahri scores a takedown against an enemy champion within 3 seconds of damaging them, she feasts upon their essence healing for 80-200 (+35%AP)
- E - Charm: Damage increased to 80-200(+60%AP) and mana cost lowered. The 20% damage amp on target has been removed.
Ahri will also be receiving a new VFX and SFX for her base skin, as well as all other skins where needed.
Ahri Nerfs in Season 12
Since Ahri is getting a mini rework, Riot will also have to nerf a few aspects of her kit, so she doesn’t turn into the most OP mage out there. Just imagine what she could do with Crown of the Shattered Queen in the early game!
- Base stats have all been lowered
- Q - Orb of Deception: Mana cost increased 60-100
When Will Ahri’s Rework Go Live?
The rework should hit the PBE server quite soon. This could mean that the rework will be available by LoL Patch 12.03. Maybe it will take a bit longer though, since Riot is going to focus on changing her visuals as well.
This is likely on the same scale as the Caitlyn ASU, which also took a few weeks before Riot officially released her. Therefore, we’ll have to wait and see whether the reworked Ahri will be springing across the right in Patch 12.03 with the new Crystal Rose skins, or sometime later in 2022.